Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Free the word "free"!

We've all seen them, usually on TV but radio has them also. The newest miracle product that solves a problem you didn't even know you had. In fact we're so confident you'll love this product so much, we're going to GIVE it to you FREE! All you need to do is pay for "shipping and handling". Bullshit. Does anyone really fall for this crap?
Let's take an example: The guy who sells the CD's about how to use computers says you pay NOTHING except a small handling charge. That charge is 6.95. A blank CD is about 10 cents. A mailer and 1st Class postage to mail a CD is 93 cents. (Yes, I asked at the post office). Where does the other $5.92 go? Free my ass. You can get a free 30 day supply of the new herbal weiner-builder for just 6.95 postage and handling. I got something you can handle, guys.
My other favorite(!) is that Billy Mays putz who screams at me about Miracle Putty, OxyClean and Lord knows what else. He'll DOUBLE your putty order FREE-just pay seperate shipping and handling. Hold the phone, there, Captain. It's bad enough you want $8.95 to send a 2 ounce package, but you want ANOTHER 8.95 for another 2 ounces? Bite me. I've now spent almost 18 bucks to send a 4 ounce package. The USPS gets $1.22. I realize you have to feed your family,but be honest about what something costs. As a Libertarian, I detest the thought of more laws, but here's one I'd support...to use the word "free" in any advertisement, there must be absolutely no charge made to the consumer. Free plus an overinflated "shipping and handling" charge is not free.

No comments: